Thursday, July 19, 2012

It's been a long week...

We got home from the hospital Monday night and not very long afterwards
got a message to get back over to the hospital as they were going to transfer
my mom to Lutheran hospital in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. (1.5 hours away) and
possibly do surgery yet that night... so we hurried back and waited.
This weeks theme seems to be *waiting*...maybe God is trying to teach
us patience.  They eventually got her on her way, but in the meantime had
 told us that the surgery would not happen until the next day after all.

I don't know about you, but around here when it rains it pours!
Our car was having problems so hubby had driven it to work to
stop by the shop and find out what was wrong with it.
That meant that I had to wait until hubs got home to get back
over to the hospital before they loaded mom up for her 1.5 hour ride
to the hospital.  The next morning bright and early (5 ish am) dad
picked us both up and we headed to Lutheran confident that
mom would have her surgery and all would be right with the


Unbeknownst to us God had other plans. We waited and waited and
waited some more. They finally got her down to pre-op where we
waited even longer. We were absolutely blown away when the doctors
nurse finally came in {after several hours of waiting} and told us that
there would be no surgery today because there had been a *brown out*
and the operating rooms were running on generator power.  Can you
believe it?? So back up to her room she goes. By now she is in severe
pain again and starving because of pain meds and food stopped for
surgery. So twice we thought the surgery was going to happen and
it didn't. 

When we finally got home from the hospital that evening , I had to jump
 in the car again and hubby in his truck so we could drive another  half
 hour away and drop off the car at the shop to be fixed with an estimate
of $300.

Mom made it through the night {not without horrible pain though}
 and yesterday morning they whisked her off to pre-op at 10 am. 
The nurses were saying  operation at NOON...yes!!

Bear in mind that my mom had been flat on her back since early
 Saturday morning and when not drugged up still in a great deal of pain.
We waited...and waited...and waited some more.We took turns sitting
with her and it made for another very long day.

{shop called my cell while we were sitting there waiting and said estimate was
 revised to $700-$1000...not what I wanted to hear ,but what can you do}

 Finally about 3:40 pm they actually took her to surgery. {I am leaving out a
 lot of details or this would be a thousand page book!}

The surgery only took a little over an hour and the ER doc had told
 us horror stories of an 8 hour surgery and loss of blood ...too risky at
 her age etc. etc. so that was amazing in itself.  We finally were able to see
 her last night a couple hours post op and she was doing  well.  When she
 got back in her room, She said if she would have been able, she would
have gotten up and danced on the table! lol.

She is to come home today and I think it will take quite some time to
fully recover, but God is good!
I was so blessed to open the curtain to her pre-op room yesterday
to see my oldest son holding her hand and praying with her while
the tears rolled gently down her cheeks. I am so thankful to have
children that care and who serve our amazing God!

I called mom this morning and finally got ahold of her after many ,many tries.
I had to end up calling the nurses station and talking to her. Told her I had
tried and tried to call my moms room , but no one was answering. She said
she would go check and see why she was not answering her phone.
She soon came back on the line and said she would put my call through to
moms room.  Mom answered the phone and I told her I had tried to call several
 times and it just rang and rang. I just about died laughing when she said, "your dad
 and I heard a phone ringing several times and thought it was in another room".
She said it was setting right behind her and one of them even made a
comment about someone getting a lot of calls and not answering their
phone!!!!!  so so funny!!

It has been an exhausting week, but God is good! Please continue to pray
for her full recovery and thank you for all your thoughts and prayers thus


Donna said...

I've been gone and unable to keep up with things. I am sorry to hear that your mom has been doing so poorly, but cheered to hear that she is now on the road to recovery! LOL, and that was funny about the phone.

julie - eab designs said...

Just catching up on some blogs after being away. I'm happy to hear your mom will be coming home soon. Keeping you all in my prayers! Take care.

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Such good news.... so glad everything is getting in the order God wanted it to be.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Oh my goodness--you have been having a time! Sorry fixing your car costs so much..that sucks. So glad to hear your Mom wanted to dance on the table though! That is wonderful news. Thanks for sharing about the phone ringing--that made me laugh out loud--sounds like my parents!

awal.ny said...

So glad your mom is doing well.

Annie Louise said...

Oh my goodness, thank you for the update. I totally understand what you are going through, about 3 weeks ago my 89 year old mother fell and broke her hip. I wont go into the details, but we too hurry up and waited sooooooo many times at the hospital, yes surgery, no surgery, yes surgery, finally went home and called to check on how she was doing, and they said the surgery had gone fine (I didn't even know she was going to have the surgery it was so late in the day, they told us she would probably have it the next day.) My mom too, was in pain--so I totally pray for you and your family-not easy to see a loved one in pain. I am so glad your mom is doing better. Funny story about the phone calls, and a very touching story about your child praying with her--so sweet. I will continue praying for you and your family. Great news, wonderful update. Blessings to you all,

Pleuntje said...

of course I pray for your mother and for you and your family...............Love Petra

Bonnie C. said...

So glad your mom is doing better. I have been suffering with sciatica for the last year due to a bulging disc and that is painful enough. I can't imagine the pain your poor mom was going thru. My prayers are with her and your family. PS-LOVE your blog!