Wednesday, February 3, 2010

White Wednesday Narcissus ~

paper - white narcissus
{pey-per-hwahyt ,-wahyt}
-noun
a daffodil {narcissus papyraceus} having star shaped,
pure white flowers and often grown indoors
in pebbles and water for winter blooming.

tied with vintage lace to keep them upright ~
they had just started to open in the
photo above ~

I have never attempted growing bulbs in the winter until
this year. I found some after Christmas half off so I decided
to take the plunge and try.

These flowers did not disappoint!

All I had to do was plant them in the soil that came
in the container with the bulbs, give them a drink of
water and watch them grow.
And grow they have!
Today I measured them and they stand a
whopping 26.5 inches tall above the container. I tied vintage lace around them a few days ago so
they would stay upright and not flop over.
I am loving them and will definitely grow them
from now on.

I urge you to give them a try if you haven't
before. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Please visit Kathleen over at Faded Charm
for more WW lovliness~

Blessings~

8 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Mmmmm! I can just smell them! Aahhhh! Heaven!
Blessings!

Miss Gracie's House said...

Such a pretty touch of white...spring is coming! THANKS so much for the compliments...Happy WW!
Rene'

Amanda Kaake said...

OH how gorgeous! Makes me want spring. Silly old ground hog. He really upset us yesterday with 6 more months of winter. lol. I'll have to try these sometime. I've seen them around but never grown them. Thanks for the LOVELY pictures!

Anonymous said...

They make me think of spring coming.... How wonderful is that??
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Unknown said...

Just gorgeous Sandi!!! Such a good idea to use a little vintage lace to keep them from flopping - mine a all over the place! Isn't the fragrance incredible??!

Hugs ~

:) T

Unknown said...

Those are so pretty Sandi!! Yay for flowers in winter!
I wanted to tell you, I received my heart!! I LOVE it! It is even prettier in person! And you wrapped it so beautifully!! Thank you for the pretty tag and card!
Big Hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Sandi...I wanted to do this in the fall...but then got preoccupied and forgot. I am so regretting it now because I adore Paper Whites and wish I had some just like yours right now! Thanks for sharing how simple it was. Wonder where I might find some bulbs?

Irene said...

How lovely, a nice slice of the promise of spring.