Monday, September 19, 2011

Caramel Puffcorn...SO addicting!

You either love it or you hate it. I don't think there is any middle ground. The "puff" popcorn in the stores that is nothing but air?? *smile* We happen to love it and I purchased a small bag of it that had been made into caramel corn in an antique mall a few weeks ago so I made it my mission to find the recipe and make some.
Mission accomplished...this morning~

It is very easy to make.  I will be making some of this to give away for the holidays if I can keep my hands out of it and quit nibbling on every batch that comes out of the oven!

You start with an 8 ounce bag of "puffcorn" and dump it in a roaster.

Then in a large pan (I used my dutch oven) you put 1/2 lb of butter...that would be two sticks (recipe says NOT oleo), 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of light corn syrup. You bring that mixture to a boil and boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly.  Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and stir until mixture foams. Pour the caramel mixture over the corn puffs and stir until well mixed. Place in a 250 degree oven for 45 minutes. Stir at least once every 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven,  pour on waxed paper and break apart.  Let cool. {don't make on a humid day or it will be sticky...as mine is today, but still sooooooo good!!}

 It will look like this when it comes out of the oven.

Pretty them up when cool and give as gifts or eat it all yourself!!! lol

10 comments:

Tracey said...

Sandi this sounds seriously delicious!!! I love anything caramel :))

Happy Monday ~

:) T

Bonjade said...

Oh they look delicious!!!!
Really if only I could taste them ;0)
Jummie
Fine evening

Lady Farmer said...

Not being a popcorn connoisseur, I have never heard of 'puffcorn'! But I love carmel corn and carmel is one of Gentleman Farmers' favorites, so I will have to locate some 'puffcorn' and give your recipe a try!
Thanks for sharing!

Bente said...

Mmm, that looks so good. I love carmel, so I don`t think it will be anything left for the rest of the family. Smile

Have a great week

Hugs

Linda said...

Puff corn, never heard of it. Can you use regular popcorn? I'd like to try it. Thanks for the recipe. Love how you presented it.

A Cottage Muse said...

Mmmmm...there goes my diet this week!

GARAGE SALE GAL ~ Deb's Earthly Delights said...

You can also drizzle melted chocolate over it. YUM!!!
deb

Shabby Chic Sandy said...

That looks delicious!

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Looks so good, definately going to try this~ thanks for sharing Sandi!

Dee said...

Love this stuff...the jar is key. Love it for a little something to share with a friend.
Thanks!