Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What is love...

*love* is a temporary madness.
it erupts like an earthquake and then subsides.
and when it subsides you have to make a decision.

you have to work out whether your roots have become
so entwined together that it is inconceivable
that you should ever part.

because this is what love is.

*love* is not breathlessness.
it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation
{def. - to publish or make known}
of promises of eternal passion.
that is just being "in love" which any of us
can convince ourselves we are.
love itself is what is leftover when being in love
has burned away , and this is both an art and a
fortunate accident. your mother and i had it,
we had roots that grew towards each other underground,
and when all the pretty blossoms had fallen from our branches
we found that we were one tree and not two".
-St. Augustine

blessings~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

After almost 42 years of marriage I will say...the insanity of new love sure fizzles quickly. Now it is the quiet blissful comfort of loving him more than life.
Nice Post!!
**Smile**
Marilyn
xxoo

Hearts Turned said...

Oh, Sandi--that was like a breath of fresh air! Thank-you for sharing something so beautiful and so true! I loved that!

Hope you're having a beautiful day!

Amanda Kaake said...

What a gorgeous saying!

June said...

Sandi what an amazing quote you have shared with us today. One tree...I love that!
hugs

Splendid Little Stars said...

ooo...that is so wonderful!

TheresainMS said...

Sandi, this is lovely! Probably the most wonderful definition of love I've ever seen. I have to agree with Marilyn too. My husband and I have been together 16 years and the comfort of knowing that he's always there is the best feeling in the world. My wish is that every couple have the same type love my husband and I have.

Have a great week!!

Theresa

Seawashed said...

This is a favorite quote...do you know it is used in Captain Corelli's Mandolin? These images are gorgeous...I want them!!!

GwendolynKay said...

Beautiful vintage picture.
blessings!
Gwen

Cynthia K. said...

Sandi - Wow, this is awesome!! One of the best explanations of marital love I've ever heard. And from St. Augustine - who'd a thunk it?! It's so very true and so beautifully said: roots entwined...

Have a Beautifully Blessed 2010...

Cynthia K. (Beauty and Blessings)