Sunday, August 8, 2010

Beautiful carriage ride through Marshall, Michigan

We visited the beautiful city of Marshall, Michigan yesterday
and loved every minute of it.

"Marshall is best known for its cross-section of 19th- and early
20th-Century architecture. It has been referred to by
the keeper of the National Register of Historic Places as a
"virtual textbook of 19th-Century American architecture."
It is home to the one of the nation's largest
National Historic Landmark Districts.
There are over 850 buildings included in the Landmark."
{source Wikipedia}

We thought about cruising around town on these
beautiful bicycles.
Gorgeous replicas of old time bicycles.
...but we opted to travel this way instead.
I am sure it was a wise decision considering us old codgers. lol. Loved the ride and wished it was longer.
The carriage ride took us on a tour through the historical district and it has the most beautiful homes. The house above was one of my very favorites. I could move right in today! :)

We saw amazing Victorian trim on a lot of the homes. {I had to edit some pictures as they were crooked and this one didn't turn out too great...the house on the left really wasn't crooked like the picture shows. }

They paid much attention to detail back in the old days.

This home was just gorgeous!

I fell in love with the front of his house immediately.

Loved this window!

There was even a PINK house.

Several of the homes we went by were up for sale.
Sad sign of the times.

LOVED this one too!

Most if not all of the homes had beautiful
landscaping.

I hope you enjoyed seeing these beautiful old homes.
I will be back this week to show you some of the
amazing stores we went in.
One antique store was called
*Amazing Grace Antiques*...and it was
definitely amazing!!

Blessings~

11 comments:

Annesphamily said...

I really enjoyed this tour! Those houses were amazing. Thank you and I would have loved that carriage ride. I learned something new todya. Thanks! Anne

Irene said...

Very enjoyable tour. I'm so glad you had a great time.

Julie~ My Bella Home said...

Lovely! Wishing I was there! So beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Lovely...

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

My husand and I have been to Marshall MANY times over the 25 years ( each summer ) we spent driving from Indianapolis to Canada...to spend a couple of weeks at our friends cabin up there.
We always ate at Win Schuler's famous old Restaurant as well.
And visited ALL the antique shoppes I could possibly fit in in one day....but that left LITTLE time for touring the town..so THANK YOU for showing us some of that which we missed ...loved the tour.

We live in Texas now...so we will probaby never get to Marshall again unfortunately.
Glad you had such a nice time.

Rose

Donna said...

I love Marshall! Your picture of all the beautiful homes are wonderful! Did you get a chance to go in any of the shops while you were in town? There are some really neat ones! We love eating at Schuler's, such a pretty setting & great service. Hubby is a pilot, so we sometimes fly there, and the restaurant will pick us up at the airport & then we have lunch!

Anonymous said...

Oh... this is the town for me!! I LOVE old architecture! What a wonderful way to spend the day. Thanks for the tour!!
Hugs ~ Jo :)

Elyse said...

hi sandi,

so glad you brought your camera along. it's so fun to see places all over the country via blog posts. marshall looks really lovely!

any good snacks? tee hee

xo
elyse

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Goodness, what BEAUTIFUL homes!! I too love carriage rides!!

Big Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Unknown said...

So beautiful!!!

I love that they have bike rentals...there was bike rental locations all over Paris when we were there and I thought it was such a fabulous idea...you could return the bikes to any location around the city!

Glad to see you are having a nice Summer :)

Hugs ~

:) T

Julie Marie said...

Oooh Sandi, how beautiful! I would love to own any one of those gorgeous homes... they just don't build them like that any more! And how fun to ride in a carriage to see them all! xoxo Julie Marie PS Can't wait to see the antiques stores!