Friday, August 6, 2010

For the love of old barns

Well ladies, guess what I did yesterday and will probably do
today and tomorrow...err...maybe just Saturday.
I went to *part of* the *World's Longest Garage Sale*.
It was humid, hot, and craaazy!!
It starts just a few miles away on route 127
and ends in Alabama.

Hmm...I am thinking next year maybe go the whole
way and stay at my niece's in Alabama where I have never been!

I figured out quick that this is not the life
for me UNLESS it is 70 degrees...then it would be great!
I would also like every bit
of it under a big tent to hit it all at once. LOL.

But I digress...on to the barns!!

I just had to include my little *barn chick*
...3 year old granddaughter Annika.
She will be happy to take you on a tour
of beautiful old barns that I photographed
in the past few weeks.
I love this gray barn and thought it would look
neat with a postage stamp frame.

This barn is just up the road a few miles and I love the Queen Anne's Lace in the foreground.

Just had to include this one with the huge chicken.

Immaculate farm and upkeep of the barns.

Love the stone foundation on this beauty.

This barn was my husband's grandfather's many, many
years ago. It stands a few miles away from us and this is the best shot I could get.

Don't you just love this old weathered gray barn?

Just the right amount of chippiness...pure beauty!

I have seen a lot of round bales this year and
they look right at home in this 1900 barn.

I just love these next few pictures of several
old barns in one place.

Another barn made into a postage stamp. I am thinking the postal service really ought
to make stamps of old barns.

{I found this poem online}

Old Barn by Vance Oliphant

Just down the road...around the bend,
Stands an old empty barn; nearing the end.
It has sheltered no animals for many years;
No dairy cows, no horses, no sheep, no steers.
The neigh of a horse; the low of a cow;
Those sounds have been absent for some time now.
There was a time when the loft was full of hay,
And the resounding laughter of children at play.
At one time the paint was a bold shade of red;
Gradually faded by weather and the sun overhead.
The doors swing in the wind...the hinges are loose;
Windows and siding have taken a lot of abuse.
The fork, rope and pulleys lifted hay to the mow;
A task that always brought sweat to the brow.
But those good days are gone; forever it seems,
And that old barn now stands with sagging beams.
It is now home to pigeons, rats and mice;
The interior is tatterd and doesn't look very nice.
Old, abandoned barns have become a trend,
Just down the road....around the bend.

This concludes our tour of beautiful old
barns and I hope you enjoyed it.
for more barn chick posts and have fun~
Blessings~

29 comments:

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR SANDI,
YOUR BARN PHOTOGRAPHS ARE OUTSTANDING. I LOVE OLD BARNS AND I LOVE THE POEM YOU USED. YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER IS SOOOO VERY ADORABLE. MY AMY HAD A STICK HORSE THAT MY MOTHER MADE FOR HER WHEN SHE WAS A LITTLE GIRL AND SHE HAD A RED COWBOY HAT AND RED BOOTS. WHAT MEMORIES.
I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO TO THE WORLD'S LONGEST GARAGE SALE BUT I IMAGINE IT IS PRETTY CRAZY.
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Julie Marie said...

Oooh Sandi, how breathtaking! You have photographed each one so beautifully... your little granddaughter Annika makes a darling little Barn Chick! How precious the old barn is that once belonged to your husband's grandfather... and what tender memories it must hold...I agree, there should be barn postage stamps! That is so pretty how you did that! And your sweet poem brings tears to my eyes... I wish I had the money to restore each and every barn so none were ever torn down... thanks for sharing your beauties... I also love the Queen Anne's Lace, wheat, wildflowers, etc that you show in the foreground... love to you... xoxo Julie Marie

Amanda Kaake said...

That poem makes me sad :( Sad that "old barns" have become a trend. :( Neat post though. I love all the pictures!

Vicki Boster said...

Beautiful photos Sandi! I LOVE old barns. The Gardener and I spend a day recently doing the same thing - taking pictures of old barns in our area. I have a photo eassy to blog about later this year. YOurs are just amazing!!!

Our area is having the Route 60 yard sale - goes all the way to Ga - I think. Might go see a bit!

Vicki

Donna said...

I love old barns too! Such strong character, gracing our countrysides!

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Lovely pics of the barns... You were brave to go in the heat.... Were you successful?

Anonymous said...

Great barns.... Looks like an around here! I guess barns are universal!!
Yard Saleing in this???? Not Me... You are a lot toughter than I!!
Hope you had a great time!
Love,
Marilyn

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

High Sandi~ just hopped over from the Barn Chick party~ I love all your barn photos and your granddaughter is a cutie! I am a new follower!

Unknown said...

OH WOW I could look at these forever! Your photos are gorgeous and the barns speak for themselves. I listed barns as one of my favs on my latest post...joined the bloghop. Your grand daughter is a cutie, too:)
Blessings,
Becky C
Buckets of Burlap

Debbie~ said...

Sandi your photo's of your barns are fabulous! I loooved each and every one of them, your granddaughter is truly adorable with her little stick pony and the poem was perfect, thank YOU so much for sharing! Another 'Barn Chick' Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Fabulous barns!! The red barn with the stone foundation had me at "Hello"!!!

Janet xox

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Awesome photos of barns!!!!!Your grand daughter is an adorable little barn girl:)
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

Unknown said...

oh how beautiful- your images are amazingly clear with not a cloud in the sky. the weather must be amazing there. To be near beautifuls barns is a treat. Love the stamp idea- sounds like a perfect monthly Barn Meeting post idea?
thanks for being on my Barn Chick party...

Karen

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

LOVED IT!

Olive said...

Sandi, your barns are so pretty. I adore the one with the queen anne's lace. Your grand-daughter is just too cute! hugs♥olive

Irene said...

Wonderful photos, I agree you need to submit a suggestion to the Postal Service. I'd love to do the garage sale trek, what a great idea, I saw it on some TV program as the most unusual garage sale ever. We are having a perfect day today, Thankfully, I still icing cakes.

Kelly said...

Wow! These are all around where you live? You are sooo lucky!!! Barns are the exception rather than the rule around here...I simply adore them!!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Sandi, you showed some great barns and love the queen anne's lace in front of the one. Have a great weekend, Theresa

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

OMG, I loved your Barn pictures they are gorgeous!!! What fun going to all of the garage sales, it would be nice if they had them in the fall when it's not so hot! Blessings~~~ Daphne

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

All the barns are beautiful, Sandi. Cute what you've done with the stamps, I think you're right about the P.O. and needing some stamps w/barns.

The poem is lovely and very true and very haunting too (in an excellent way ;)
xo

Donna said...

Since I will always be a farm girl at heart (my dad was a farmer all of his life), I love barns, too! The giant chicken really cracked me up! I also loved the barn with the neat round window at the top. And your little granddaughter is so sweet! Next weekend is Michigan's longest yard sale, which is right in our area, can't wait!

Anne Lorys said...

What an amazing collection of beautiful barns! Lovely! :-)

Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs,
Anne

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

What beautiful old barns...I adore all of the old red ones!

The poem is perfect!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

I could live in that cluster of barn weatheredness! What is better than a giant chicken!

June said...

Sandi these are some awesome barns you have in your area. These would make some cows and horses very happy to have homes!!! This is one thing we don't have many of in my part of Idaho. Our barns are much newer. (and not so pretty)
I LOVE your sweet little 'barn chick'...cutest one I've seen so far!
hugs

Michelle Palmer said...

LOVE your post~ every photograph a treasure!
Your blog is wonderful :)
Hope your weekend is perfect~
Michelle

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Oh, Sandi, I just love the old barns you found! Every one of them has its own unique personality. Thanks for sharing so much barn goodness with us for the Barn Chicks Party.

Just joined you as a follower. Hope you come my way for a visit.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Uncovered Ruby said...

Sandi,
First off, I am so jealous..I'd love to go to the world's longest garage sale, but that'd be a big trip and I'd probably have to rent a huge u-haul, and that isn't cheap!
Secondly, your pictures are simply beautiful. You have an eye for capturing these lovely images. I love the barn with the stone at the bottom, and yes the post office should absolutely do some barn stamps!!!
Wonderful blog...
Kindred Barn Chick, Lisa :-)

DogsMom said...

Wonderful old barns and I enjoyed your stamp versions. They would look great framed and hung as a wall grouping.

Please write a post about your miles long garage sale experience. I know what you mean about the temperatures.