Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Memories at the old homestead

My Grandma and Grandpa Good lived just down the road
from us when we were growing up, but when they got
up in years they moved to a tiny little town a few miles
away called Kunkle, Ohio and into a house right across
from the church they attended.
{my husband and I now attend there as well}

Grandpa passed in 1977 and Grandma followed in 1987, the
place was sold and others moved in. Sad to say it has become
very run down over the past several years. Last winter it
sustained a lot of water damage and the ceilings are even
falling down. In the near future it is to be torn down so
I just had to take a few pictures for old times sake.

I couldn't decide if I liked this photo or the one below
better so I included them both. These were taken on
the south side of the barn.

I never noticed this pretty trim on the roofline until today. Funny how that happens. We were in this house a lot over the years, but just didn't see it. Probably not a priority when you are a youngster...playing is much more important!

As I walked through this house...this piece of my past,
I was flooded with memories. Watching my dad and his dad playing carrom almost
everytime we would visit. It was fun to watch and listen
to them hollar when one of the rings went in the pocket.

Time spent with grandma through the years. Baking,
cleaning, sewing at her old treadle machine. Snitching
pieces of raw yeast dough when she was making donuts.
It was soooooooo yummy!!
We laughed, we talked, we played and had wonderful times.
Oh how I miss those days.

Look at this chain embedded in the tree. We figure someone
must have put it around the tree when it was young to
hold it together and it was never removed. Now it is
embedded in the tree. Amazing!

Grandma and grandpa lived a
very simple life
never having a lot of money, but they sure loved
their family and their God.
Grandma's prayers have followed me all throughout
my life and I miss her dearly. She prayed daily for
all her children and grandchildren that we would
come to know her wonderful Savior. Her prayers
of long ago are still being answered today.

The old dilapidated barn...you should see inside this gem. You would not believe it. The floor in the loft has half
fallen down and there is a ton of stuff in here.
I rescued a old pink table and also brought home a
white chenille spread to wash up and see if it can
be salvaged. Stuff just strewn about everywhere.
{A friend has purchased it so yes I asked first before
I took anything. lol }

It was cleaned out when our family auctioned it off, so I
am assuming the "stuff" came from others living
here. I hope I get to poke around a little more soon.

I will be linking up with Kathleen again over at Faded Charm for another White Wednesday.

Happy day! Blessings~

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much of your childhood sounds like mine... I think we had the same grandparents! LOL!!
What a wonderful post Sandy....
Love,
Marilyn

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Simply is best and what a cool old home and barn.
Deb :)

Donna said...

Hi Sandi,
How sad that your Grandparents' home will be torn down. So many memories! Is there any chance that you can have some of the salvage, like that great trim, and the wonderful window you showed? That way, you could transform them info something really special that you would always treasure.

Ellen said...

You have the best of memories and I consider it an absolute privilege to be on this side of your sharing them. Thank you.
The house is so beautiful, the details and even the peeling paint. I love it and know you must too.

many oxoxox's
Ellen

Crystal said...

Oh, I'm so sad for you!!! I don't know about you but, it seems a little piece of me still lives in the homes of my grandparents. I hate to see special places like that be torn down! At least you have your memories!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I love getting to know you more and more Sandi ~ thanks for sharing!!

Julie Marie said...

Oh Sandi, what a bittersweet post... so many beautiful memories of your family, and the simpler, gentler days of yesteryear which I so love too... how very sad it is to be torn down... your photos are wonderful, and nothing can take away the precious memories that you always carry with you in your heart... xoxo Julie Marie

Secondhandrose said...

What a beautiful , old place. I live in NE Ohio. Is Kunkle anywhere near?

karen

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Such sweet memories! I was thinking the same as Donna when I saw the window with the colored glass at the top. It would be a precious thing to have if you were able to.

Gracie's Cottage said...

Thanks for sharing those sweet memories of precious grandparents; it brought back memories of my own treasured grandpa & grandma...

Jan

Miss Gracie's House said...

Oh...I LOVE it! and the sweet memories too...you are blessed to have such a godly christian heritage.
Have a great week!
Rene
Rust is my new passion:)...loved the post below!

June said...

I loved this post Sandi and reading about all your sweet memories. Maybe you could salvage some of the windows for another special faerie house. I would be trying to salvage some of that trim and the half post on the side of the house too, cause I'm just weird that way.
BTW I loved your rusty post too. One can never have too much rust!!!
hugs

Simple Home said...

What wonderful photos and memories. I was only able to visit my grandparents old farm house once when I was a child, but I still remember it. By that time my grandmother had passed away, and my grandfather had moved to town. It was alot like this. Thanks for bringing back sweet memories for me too.
Blessings,
Marcia

The Gathering Room said...

Sandi..my heart was with you as you walked around and through the old homestead...and a holding back a few tears , as I am sure you did..i too wrote about my parents old house on my blog a year ago...feeling much the same as you did...the memories were there but the loved ones we wanted to see, were not .If time could stand still and we could have just one day back , with them. we both were fortunate to have a family like we did. thaqnkls for sharing this lovely piece! Cindy B. http://primcyn1.blogspot.com/2009/08/blog-post.html

Rebecca said...

I just love old houses(our dates around 1855) and the stories that go with them. Thank you for sharing the story and the memories of your grandparents -the house and barn have wonderful details!

Atticmag said...

What a wonderful old house. It's so nice to have that association with your grandparents. Some of us only have pics left -- they are consoling.

We'll announce the winner of our giveaway tomorrow night and have a new giveaway linky party for Friday. Hope you'll stop by and take a look. Jane F.

Passionate for White said...

Admittedly, I'm usually in a rush and don't take the time to read all the words in the blogs that I follow - instead, I tend to puruse the pictures. Not this time! I read every word and soaked it all in. Thanks for the walk down your memory lane. I thorougly enjoyed it.

Amanda Kaake said...

It's nice to see the pictures. Who ended up buying it? I wish I was old enough to know Great Grandma and Grandpa better :(

Virginia said...

What a charming old home and barm...so sad that it will be torn down.
Blessings,
Virginia

Heaven's Walk said...

Hi Sandi - oh, that's so very sad that your grandparents barn and house have to be torn down... :( It's sad anytime a vintage building that is so full of wonderful memories has to make way for something shiny and new. It's just not the same...I would try to nab some of those architectural details on the house/barn if I were you! And then hold your memories close to your heart. :) Happy WW, Sandi! I'm happily following!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

The Smith Hotel said...

What amazing memories! So sad that the house and barn weren't taken care of!

Jody

gail said...

what beautiful photos and lovely memories. I'm afraid those simple times are gone forever. So sad, but great to have thememories!
gail
adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

G'eve sweet Sandi ~ Ahh, the memories of our youth! Such beautiful moments to cherish forever ... your pictures captured so beautifully. I'd be saving every little pull, handle, wood ... whatever I could lay my hands on. Think of the bird houses you could make, or garden tables, signs ... oh, talented lady.

I wish I could have been there with you to just hug you ... beautiful write, Sandi, sweet friend ... so full of love!

Hugs of love, Marydon