Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mini Pantry Makeover

If you remember I live in a very old house built in 1890's
and one thing that is not abundant is closet areas.
In fact we have one closet in our bedroom and that is it !

Yes, I suppose we should have gutted the house ,
started over and added some, but...at the time of purchase
we were young in's with babies...several years of lay offs
took their toll and we really never got around to it.

Now I am too old to care! lol.
That being said...there is a deep area outside our bathroom
door that was a built in pantry when we moved here.
Several years ago we tore that out
{it really needed taken out!} and spruced it up.

A few years ago we added shelving to put pantry goodies
on and I hung a curtain, but it never really looked *pretty*
to me. Yesterday I changed that.

I whipped up some floor length curtain panels and added
some of my gauze roses to it and it looks much better
if I don't say so myself.

I also had two of these linen baskets just hanging
around upstairs so instead of just piling my jars on the
top shelf like before, I put them in these baskets.
Much prettier don't you think?

I have to tell you about the curtains. I purchased them at a garage sale this summer and was about jumping for joy! {it is the little things that make me happy}

I got four gauze panels that were approx. 180 inches long each if not longer for 50 cents each. I was trying to figure out what in the world they were because they were just hemmed on the top, bottom and sides with no pocket for a curtain rod and I finally realized they were swags.

I took one panel, ripped it in two pieces and since the one end and the sides were already hemmed all I had to do was make a curtain rod pocket on each panel. Easy peasy!! I do love the new look much better. I thought about adding a few ruffles at the top... what do you think?

I will say that I have been wandering antique malls lately with tape measure in hand to find a tall cabinet for this area, but haven't had any success yet. So I guess this will do for now until I find that special piece.

Happy Thursday! Blessings~

20 comments:

Sherrie said...

Great storage! I love those gauze roses. So sweet :0)

Amanda Kaake said...

I think it looks gorgeous!

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Hi Sandi ~ I am in Atascadero and went to Paso yesterday ~ the weather is glorious !!

xoxo
Lori

Unknown said...

Another awesome creation, sweet friend.

Just in case you are wondering, I am watching an ANT climb up my sunflower ... chuckle!

Have a beautiful day ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

My storage must look pretty too! Love what you've done!!

Unknown said...

...love it!! I am always looking for crispy white sheets to use for my "shelf curtains" and then I sew a ruffle to the bottom! These pretty gauze ones were a great find, and I adore the rosettes!!
So get it about the someday later...funny the way it is as we get older and simply make it work as is!!
xo, Rosemary

Lady Farmer said...

Your pantry looks *pretty* now! What a great job on the curtain panels (and you really scored on the price!) ~ love the roses you added! I think the cutain looks great the way it is ~ sans ruffles! You notice the roses better that way!
;~}

aimee said...

fantastic! dont you just love when things fall into place.
blessings,
aimee

Irene said...

How clever of you. I have to be honest with you, I don't think it would be all that much work to put doors on your opening, finding a wardrobe to fit might be quite a challenge. Look around for some wonderfully old/vintage French doors, or just cabinet doors. If you already have shelving...

Tete said...

Great job! Don't you just love it when things just fall into place for you?
The little roses are a wonderful detail and I would leave it like that, at least until you get tired of it. Then you could tea dye it and use it somewhere else...
Thanks for stopping by!
Hugs-Tete

June said...

Sandi I love those curtains. I love how you added the rosettes all over them. This little storage area is beautiful. I loved your WW post and h the darling iron chair. I love to use seatless chairs all over the garden too. I think they make the cutest plant supports...and have you priced plant supports these days? They are expensive and I have a ton of old chairs bought at yard sales.
I am lovin' that sweet iron roses sign too.
I have been missing in action for a while now. I had to take care of grandchildren last week and that always takes it out of me. I know why I had my children when I was younger. I can't seem to keep up with the little ones like I used to. LOL!
hugs

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Now, how clever are you, Miss Sandi?! I love this idea. And your beautiful rosettes really add the finishing touch!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Anonymous said...

With all the flaws our house has because it was built in the 1860's & has suffered some strange "redo's", I just love my pantry.
It is big enough for my W&D & freezer & storage of my small appliances, extra dishes & all our food!!
I said that if we ever moved the "new" house must have a pantry!!
Love your redo!!
Have a Wonderful Day!
Love,
Marilyn

Donna Reyne' said...

This is too pretty to be your pantry!
I love it!
the little roses really add a sweet touch!
Blessings and hugs,
donna

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

It's beautiful, Sandi! Those sheer curtains are a real dream, way to go!
xo~Tracie

Donna said...

Hi Sandi,
This looks fabulous! The gauze panels sure were a great find, and your flowers are beautiful! I like your canning jar storage solution, too. It all looks so pulled together, unlike my pantry which is a disaster!!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

It looks so Pretty now! You are such a creative lady with an eye for beauty :)

Crystal said...

I love them!! They do look wonderful...the flowers are pretty! I think a ruffle would look great. Awsome idea cutting them in half...I really never would have thought of that....smart thinking!

Donna said...

A very lovely solution!

gail said...

all your whites look so fresh and crisp and pretty!
adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com