Thursday, March 12, 2009

Washer Woes...Advice needed ~

My washer burned up yesterday morning so we are looking to purchase another one. We purchased this *MAYTAG* new maybe 6 years ago and it has given us nothing but trouble from the start so we will never buy that brand again .We had a Kenmore before this one and I am leaning in that direction again...or maybe GE... I am hoping that someone can give me some good advice. I am getting tired of reading washer reviews online (especially with my slow internet ). I just think I get one picked out and find out it doesn't have something I want and on it goes. I am not a bells and whistles kind of gal ...just give me a decent washer that gets the clothes clean and doesn't dance across the middle of the floor, doesn't unhook hoses and flood the floor with 2 inches of water and doesn't slam the drum so violently when the load is uneven ....and preferably not the price of a nice used car! Not asking for too much am I ?? Hoping to get all kinds of help by the time I wake up tomorrow. Oh and not a front loader either....I know picky ,picky...LOL Blessings ~

7 comments:

Willnnabel said...

Okay I own the Maytag Neptune. The "Original" front loading machine. It is now 9 years old. I have to say it has been good and frankly saves you a "ton" of money in soap and water. Although the Maytag guys have been out twice to fix it (thank goodness for the warranty). If we were to buy again (and we may soon) it would be a Whirlpool. This was the first brand we ever owned (lasted 16 years!!!). I remember it was a wedding gift from Steves parents and they asked what brand I wanted. I chose Whirlpool because most of the laundrymats used that brand. It was a good choice. I know that now they have merged with Maytag. I do not think the brand is necessarily bad. I think like all things nowdays they are made cheaply and to be disposable. I would strongly suggest a front loader. For the sake of the environment, and your pocketbook. Really I save a lot of money on soap. (I was told by the repair guys not to use as much of the H E soap the manufacturer recommended, but only a third. He says people use way to much detergent in front loaders and that can damage them)Whatever you choose, get an extended warranty!

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Sandi, everything I've ever owned that was a Maytag was junk!!!! I've heard that Whirlpool is wonderful....I just know when my frig and washer finally blow, I'll not get a Maytag anything! xxoo, Dawn

Anonymous said...

I bought a USED Lady Kenmore almost three years ago that had transferable factory warranty on it. It is the most wonderful washer! Top loading, doesn't dance across the floor, doesn't bang the tub during spin cycle and doesn't require a degree in computer science or engineering to work it. I love the look of those new fancy washers with colored enamel cases or whatever you call 'em, but too much to go bad on them I'm afraid. Besides, who needs a washer that costs the price of a decent used car?

Anonymous said...

I was just looking at some the other day in Lowe's....Josh and I were dreaming of our own home...lol! I found the cutest pair of seafoam green ones on sale...ha...that is how I base my decisions..."is it cute?"...lol! But...they were front loaders ;)

Anonymous said...

I will soon be married for 31 years and have owned only 2 sets of washer/dryers - both Kenmore. The first went nonstop for almost 25 years. I've had great luck with my Kenmore dishwasher and refrigerator too. Next, a new stove and microwave. KENMORE!

Amanda Kaake said...

Hugs mom. I know where you can get a washboard. lol - just kidding. Hoping you get yours today and that it works a VERY long time.

The Rustic Victorian said...

I understand the "Washer Woes", as any day my 15 yr old Magic Chef will give up the last spin. We were in Sears looking around and it is confusing to purchase large appliances. Some of them look like spaceships. Really gaudy and spendy. I am not much help I am afraid as I haven't gotten seriously into looking...its just so boreing. I wonder if they make them to last more than 5 years these days. Good luck, I have always saved by getting floor models that are dented or scrached.
My dryer is a GE, and I have had that about 20 years and it seems fine still. I won't buy GE for political reasons now. I hope you let us in on any knowledge you find out.
Happy Hunting.
Marcie