Monday, September 7, 2009

Tomato Bisque ~

This
Tomato Bisque
is so yummy~
Remember this cookbook that I won
from Tracie over at My Petite Maison ?
{the photo below is from the book}
This is the first recipe I made out of this cookbook.
I made it for our lunch today and it was
definitely a hit with hubby and I.
I will most certainly be making it again.
Next time I will plan better
and purchase some crusty bread to go with it. Since I didn't plan very well,
we only had garlic bread on hand.
It was okay, but I would prefer the crusty french bread
with it next time. lol

Tomato Bisque
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh dill, plus more for garnish
2 lbs. heirloom tomatoes, chopped
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I used chicken)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 and 1/4 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup honey
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large nonreactive pot, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat and saute the onion and the 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dill until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and broth, bring to a simmer, and remove from the heat.

In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat and add the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes without browning. Add the cream and half-and-half and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley and honey. Remove from the heat. Using an immersion blender, stand blender, or food processor, puree the cream mixture with the tomato-broth mixture ( in batches, if necessary ). Return the blended soup to the same pot, reheat over low heat, and season with salt and pepper.

To serve , ladle into warmed shallow soup bowls and garnish with dill.
Serves 6 to 8

Enjoy !
Blessings~

4 comments:

The Victorian Parlor said...

I didn't realize I was hungry until I read this post! I'm going to eat some lunch now! Thanks for sharing the recipe:).

Blessings,

Kim

Splendid Little Stars said...

That recipe sounds awesome! Look at this blog. Sinclair posted a soup recipe with a link to a bread recipes. http://naturewithme.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-have-new-favorite-soup.html

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

I'll be right over for a bowl! It looks delicious. Guess I'd better make some myself soon. Happy Labor Day, Sandi.
xo~Tracie

Amanda Kaake said...

That looks amazing! I'll have to try it sometime very soon!