Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Quaint Little Bathroom ~

Okay fellow bloggers...are you ready for this??? I know most people don't show their bathrooms, but I worked a little in mine yesterday and I thought *WHY NOT* so here we go...

First let me confess that our house was built in the late 1800's and some of the old wiring and old walls and definitely old LONG windows are still in place. Initially when we purchased this house and acreage in 1982 we had grand ideas of renovating big time, but through years of layoffs and pay cuts and being a one income family that just has not happened and truthfully it probably never will. That being said I am very content in my humble abode (most of the time) until we have to shell out big bucks for heat in the winter or something needs repaired for the fourth time..lol

This is my TEENY TINY bathroom...the only one in the house and I love it. I measured it today and from wall to wall it is only 5 feet 4 inches (I think I am about that tall...I should have just laid down and measured...LOL) x 6 feet 10 inches. We raised three kids in this tiny bath and they actually survived (and even thrived!)

This wall is straight across from the wall with the sink and commode on (that sounds much better than the *T* word don't you think) To the right of this picture I do have a double closet with shelves (and doors) that holds a lot of towels , cleaners etc. ~

Love my vintage towel with a *B* monogram~ Pretties on my stand...not sure what I want in the bowl yet so just stuck the candle in there for picture taking ~
This is what I did yesterday. I had a vintage pink and black stool in here, but I went upstairs and hauled down this little stand and I think I just love it in here! I try to think outside the box when decorating. This is technically a nightstand from Kmart's baby line. I purchased it for $20 or so when it was on clearance and I knew I would find a place for it. Initially it was upstairs at the top of the stairs, but something else will have to go there now.
A PARIS hook on my tiny closet door holding my white PJ's ~
Love this mirror...I have a thing for mirrors. If I find one I love and it is cheap I will buy it no matter that I already have many, many mirrors in this house already! LOL ~
This area is right off to the left as you come in the door. The only dark piece of wood I have in here is the vanity that hubby made a few years ago...now I wish it was painted, but oh well. It will do just fine. Do you see the little vintage light pink match holder above the commode? I put Q-tips in that and love it~
My *caddy* on the back of the commode~
LOVE this light fixture ~
You know me...I gotta throw a pop of color in somewhere every now and then. Depends on my mood if the towel matches everything else or if it is a pink polka dot one ~
I hope I didn't scare you too much by showing you *THE ROOM*. I love fixing up my house and moving things around for a new look. The color of the walls is *Summer linen*...the same color I just repainted my back porch/laundry room. I am hung up on this color. Have a joyful day filled with doing things that you love. Blessings~

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too live in an 1800's house... I too had grandiose ideas years ago only to be realistically pared-down by the economy..... I too have a teeny-tiny bathroom.... I too love it!!
Seems like we live the same life!! LOL!!
Great Post!!
Hugs,
Marilyn
xxoo

Maisy said...

It's so pretty. It is soooo you!!!!
All your little touches and details are just perfect!!!!
Thanks for bringing us into your home.
:)

Seawashed said...

Your bathroom is ethereal...so soft and flowing with beauty. So glad you shared it with us.

It is nice to meet you. Your blog is lovely.

Kim said...

What a charming bathroom you've created. I am so loving it.

I actually have an unfinished 1/2 bath in the lower level of my home that I am just dying to finish, but it will be a few more years before I can save up enough money to do that. I can totally see that bathroom looking very similar to yours someday.

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Sandi, I love it. Thank you for showing your bath. I get a little down once in a while because I run out of room to move things around in this old house (also built in the late 1800s). Most of the time, I absolutely love it and all the character and history it provides. I wouldn't trade living in an old house, but it does have its challenges. I love what you've done. Your bath is actually big compared to our downstairs bath ;)
We're with you, we thought we'll do this and that but life happens and we work with what we've got here. I love my neighborhood and this old house. Thanks for the reminder!
xo~Tracie

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

PS ~ Have a wonderful, long weekend.

June said...

I love it Sandi! I think it looks dreamy.
Hugs,
June

Miss Gracie's House said...

Sandi, it looks just right...very pretty and functional. I know all about grandiose renovating plans...we were supposed to be finished at the 10-yr mark...we're going on 12 and not finished and it's time to start over on some things:)
Have a great weekend...thanks for the reminder on our freedom...may we never take it for granted.
Rene'

Lady Pamela said...

Hi Sandi,
Enjoyed your post as always. You have some good ideas. We are trying to make our 'little room' a little nicer, too. We aren't ready to do the big reno job yet. We are struggling with the paint colour right now.

Katie said...

What a lovely room! I really love the repurposing of the matchbox holder, how clever you are!