Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Victorian Afternoon Tea ~

Come along with me to an afternoon Victorian Tea at the Holly Hotel in Holly, Michigan~
My granddaughter and I on the steps leading up to the entrance of the Holly Hotel where her , my daughter and I took Victorian Tea on Saturday at 2:30 pm ~
Grand entrance to the Holly Hotel ~ This table greets you as you first walk in the door ~ We walked through this entry way into the room for our tea~ Beautiful decor in the entryway~
Love this antique teapot~
My sweet granddaughter sitting in a most elegant chair~
One view of the room from our table~
I love this ceiling!! I have seen a lot of old tin ceilings, but not like this one. Someday I would love to have a tin ceiling in my kitchen.

Now on to the delicious food ~
Our food was just perfect for a Saturday afternoon tea~
The first course consisted of:
Pecan scones with a dollop of raspberry cream
Chocolate muffin
Mixed fruit compote
(which consisted of pomegranate, black raspberries and blueberries...if I remember right)
All I know is that it was all wonderful!!
Our second course included:
Pate canape with roasted plum
Saffron cucumber tea sandwich
Spinach Mushroom Pinwheel
The saffron cucumber sandwich and the spinach mushroom pinwheel were both very good. In fact I could have made a meal out of those pinwheels if they would have let me! SO delicious!
But...not so fond of the pate. My daughter told the waitress, "we are naughty...I guess we just aren't refined enough".
I can't eat anything that resembles liver and neither could my daughter. That is one thing I have never developed a taste for. Our first clue should have been when we were seated and our waitress told us that she would change one of the sandwiches for our granddaughter with something else because she probably wouldn't like one of them....we should have asked then what it was...lol )
Our last course was dessert~
Cheesecake baked in paper (loved this presentation),
Chocolate tart with a dollop of chocolate mousse,
a tiny flaky pasty with a dollop of raspberry cream.
It was delicious!
We had tea served to us along with glasses of ice water and lemon. My granddaughter was trying so hard to be a little lady and she really did a wonderful job , but she got so tickled about them constantly refilling up her water. She would take a sip or two (literally) and over the waiter would come and fill it back up. After the third fill up, she was giggling. She told us later that she counted and they filled up her glass 7 times!
All in all it was a very fun day and a neat experience ~
Blessings~

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures, Sandi! I've never been to such a tea! (I'd be giggling with your granddaughter!) ♥

Katie said...

Happy Teacup Tuesday! I so enjoyed this post, I felt like I was right there with you.

Your granddaughter will remember this for her whole life, this moment in time with you!

debi said...

Oh, everything looks delish! Even the pate...but then, I love liver.
I've never been to a tea room...it looks like such fun. One of these days.

Bunny said...

Looks like you had a real fun time with your granddaughter. Keep those wonderful memories coming.

Amanda Kaake said...

So glad you were able to come with us. I had a wonderful time and I know Lyshie did too despite us putting her "spy" box away. lol! Can't wait to share many more wonderful memories with you!

Allidink said...

What yummy delights! I don't like pate either LOL. But everything else looks good! How fun.

All the best,
Allison

Kim said...

Oh what fun!!! Everything looks lovely. What a wonderful and special way to spend an afternoon with your grandaughter. She must have been thrilled to bits to be able to attend such a special event.

Lisa said...

How lovely! Thanks for sharing! I don't like liver either! You must have had the best time! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Lisa

Lady Pamela said...

The perfect post for Teacup Tuesday. It all looks so wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us.

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Sandi,
That looks like so much fun. What a fun girl's outing a proper tea and sandwiches. The tea sandwiches (especially the saffron cucumber) look delicious and, of course, the desserts too!

Also, you were one of the winners of my petite giveaway... congratulations! I see your email at left, so I'll send you a message. Happy day ;)
xo~Tracie

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! Looks like a fabulous time. I love that ceiling too...want it in my house! And the food looks scrumptious...but I wouldn't have gone for the pate either...hehe!

Nanette said...

That sounds like so much fun! Your granddaughter is lovely and it sounds like she enjoyed it too. Valerie

Phyllis said...

So happy to have stumbled onto your blog. We share many commonalities... love of God, children & grandchildren [my granddaughter is coming to spend the day in celebration of her 14th birthday today], tea, antiques, and possibly Michigan residents... I have been to the Holly Hotel for tea several times. Holly is such a quaint town. My son teaches at the Holly High School.